5 Ingredients is an Urban Family series where we sit down with a Shanghai-based chef and ask for a family-friendly meal using 5 Ingredients easily found in Shanghai; let us help you start the week with a simple five-step recipe!
This week we talked to Chef Jacky Hu, a Jiangsu native, who has been using his culinary skills in the kitchens at Iren’s Thai and The Spot Bar & Restaurant, since 2004. Chef Jacky trained under German, 4-star Michelin Chef Mark Wright, where his apprenticeship developed him into an expert in Euro-Asian-cuisine. Following his training, Chef Jack spent time in Thailand to undertake further study, and while there, he fell in love with Thai flavors. His passion and eagerness to evolve his techniques come through in the delicious dishes served at The Spot.
Can you tell me about the dish you are helping us prepare this week?
My 14-year-old son is always excited when I come home and asks me to prepare this pasta dish, which is his favorite. It is a simple and easy dish, that is also healthy. Parents can enjoy making this together with their children.
What five ingredients do we need?
250 grams fusilli pasta
1 zucchini, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
100 grams black olives, chopped in half
Seasoning: salt, stock powder, olive oil, basil leaves
2 tablespoons red vinegar
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
4 tablespoons olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste
Image via The Spot Bar & Restaurant
What is the five-step recipe?
1. Add 2 liters of boiling water to a large pot, season with 1 tablespoon of salt and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, but do not rinse the pasta. Toss it with olive oil and set aside to cool.
2. Sauté the zucchinis with 1 tablespoon of chicken stock and a pinch of salt, then set aside.
3. In a small bowl, prepare the salad dressing by mixing all ingredients. Make sure the dressing is thick and thoroughly combined, so the pasta absorbs the oil and vinegar evenly.
4. Place the fusilli pasta in a large bowl and mix in the sautéed zucchini and black olives followed by the dressing.
5. Add the shredded basil and a drizzle of olive oil on top. Serve and enjoy!
What's your advice on your dish of the week?
Do not overcook the pasta or it will fall apart when you toss it with the dressing. You can use other types of pasta that your children enjoy to eat, such as macaroni or penne. You may also add more vegetables into the salad, such as cherry tomatoes, bell peppers or mushrooms. I like to use chicken stock powder as it makes the salad tastier.
Tell us something that's happening in your restaurant at the moment, that our Urban Family community can enjoy.
Each week at The Spot Bar and Restaurant we run many promotions for the community to enjoy. This includes our set lunch special every Monday-Friday from 11:30am-2:00pm. We also have our Monday night cheeseburgers from 6pm-10pm and the longest happy hour on drinks, every day from 11:30am-8:00pm.
On Saturday, August 25, we will hold our ‘Summer end overload party’ from 7pm-10pm. Don’t miss the all-you-can-eat BBQ package, priced at RMB150.
[Title and profile images via The Spot Bar & Restaurant]
For more 5 Ingredients recipes, click here.