5 Ingredients is an Urban Family series where we sit down with a Shanghai-based chef and ask for a family-friendly meal using 5 Ingredients easily found in Shanghai; let us help you start the week with a simple five-step recipe!
This week we talked to Bhanwar Singh, head chef at Turkish restaurant Pera. Chef Bhanwar first came to China in 2010 to work at Indian restaurant Kebabs on the Grille. Since then, he has moved over to the companies other restaurant Pera, and is busy serving up delicious Turkish dishes to the Shanghai community at Found 158.
Can you tell me about the dish you are helping us prepare this week?
I will explain my hummus recipe. It’s one of the most popular dips in the world and is made from a few simple ingredients.
What five ingredients do we need?
1 cup chickpeas
½ tablespoon tahini
1 whole, pressed garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Image via Pixabay.
What is the five-step recipe?
1. Soak the chickpeas. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and then, pour enough water to sit 2 centimeters above the top of chickpeas. Leave to soak overnight. In the morning they will look plump and swollen.
2. Cook the chickpeas. Place a saucepan on the stove and add the chickpeas and water. Then, add a little more water and turn to high heat. As the chickpeas begin to simmer, a foam will rise to the top. Skim off this foam with a spoon and discard. Then, turn down the heat to simmer and cover with the lid, leaving a slight opening. Cook for 90 minutes, adding more water if needed. Once cooked, the chickpeas should be plump and soft, where you can squash them with a spoon.
3. Prepare the hummus. Place a cup of cooked chickpeas and the garlic into a blender and purée to a smooth paste. Repeat the process until all chickpeas are used then, spoon the blended paste into a bowl.
4. Make the hummus. Add the lemon juice to the bowl of blended chickpea paste. Then, include the Tahini and salt, and whisk well. Finally, add the olive oil to moisten the mixture. Whisk again until well combined. Check the amounts of salt and lemon juice are to your liking.
5. Serve the hummus. Place two large spoonfuls of hummus onto a serving plate. Then, using the back of the spoon, spread the hummus around the dish. Garnish with fresh mint leaves, paprika and a lemon wedge.
Image via Pixabay.
What’s your advice on your dish of the week?
Enjoy this hummus with bread, cucumber, celery, carrots and peppers. As an alternative, a tin of chickpeas can be used; however, the flavor won’t be as good!
Tell us something that’s happening with your business at the moment, that our Urban Family community can enjoy.
[Cover image via Pera. Profile image via Bhanwar Singh.]
For more 5 Ingredients recipes, click here.