5 Ingredients, an Urban Family series where we sit down with a Shanghai-based chef and ask for a family-friendly meal using 5 Ingredients easily found in Shanghai; let us help you start the week with a simple five-step recipe!
This week we talked to Chef Leonardo “Tabasco” Guerrero, Chief Culinary Officer for True Legend Hospitality Group, which includes the three brands: Pistolera, The Blind Pig and Big Bamboo. Born and raised in Mexico to a culinary and travel-loving family, Chef Leonard completed a business degree in Quebec City, Canada. Following his graduation in 2010, he came to Shanghai and partnered with True Legend founder Bryce Jenner, to create Pistolera. In 2013 he returned to Toronto to earn a culinary management degree and gain additional work experience. He then came back to Shanghai in 2016 to manage kitchen operations at Pistolera and eventually became the group’s Executive Chef. Leonardo lives in Shanghai with his Michigan-born wife Courtney and their energetic toddler daughter.
Can you tell me about the dish you are helping us prepare this week?
I am sharing a very simple and healthy breakfast taco. It is a perfectly-balanced morning meal to keep you energized well past midday. I love to make this at home during the summer months with perfectly-ripe tomatoes for ultimate freshness. It is very quick to prepare, making it a perfect choice for busy families.
What five ingredients do we need?
Ingredients for 1 taco
10-inch soft tortilla wraps (white flour, whole wheat or spinach)
½ tomato, diced into 1-centimeter pieces
¼ avocado, sliced
1½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Seasoning: sea salt and pepper plus salsa or hot sauce
What is the five-step recipe?
1. Crack open two eggs in a bowl, add one teaspoon of water and season with salt and pepper. Whisk with intensity for 30 seconds.
2. On a flat pan or straight over the flame at medium-high heat, warm your tortillas until they start bubbling from the inside. Set aside on your serving plate.
3. Place a non-stick pan over medium-low heat for 1–2 minutes, and add one teaspoon of olive oil. You want your pan warm and not too hot that it will burn your olive oil. Add the whisked eggs to the pan, and mix continuously to achieve the perfect scrambled eggs.
4. Place your scrambled eggs across the middle of your tortilla.
5. Garnish with the diced tomatoes and sliced avocados. Drizzle the remaining ½ teaspoon of olive oil on top and sprinkle with sea salt.
What’s your advice on your dish of the week?
1. Summer is around the corner which brings delicious tomatoes such as heirlooms and other great locally-grown versions. Using a good tomato makes all the difference with this dish.
2. You also need a ripe and creamy avocado. Use this guide on how to pick the best ones.
3. I prefer heating the tortillas on an open flame, it is faster and enhances the taco flavor with dark char.
4. I recommend whisking water with the eggs as it creates little bubbles when cooking and adds volume to the scrambled eggs.
5. Do not overcook your eggs. Once in the pan, it should take no more than a minute, depending on your heat. Don’t wait until your eggs look dry to take them out. It’s better if they are slightly runny, as the collected heat will continue cooking them once you take them off the heat.
Tell us something that’s happening with your business at the moment, that our Urban Family community can enjoy.
We recently launched two locally-brewed craft beers, and our menu will continue to expand. Currently, we have a light and refreshing ale called ‘Summer Ale’ and a hoppy European-style blonde called ‘Platinum Blonde.’ At Pistolera we have a new menu along with a seasonal menu with great 'Specials' for spring and summer, so come along and enjoy!
[Photo via theorganickitchen.org]
For more 5 Ingredients recipes, click here.