5 Ingredients, an Urban Family series where we sit down with a Shanghai-based chef and ask for a family-friendly meal using 5 Ingredients easily found in Shanghai; let us help you start the week with a simple five-step recipe!
This week we decided to share a recipe of our own and we coudn't go past guacamole and corn chips. This universal favorite is easy to prepare, healthy and makes for a great dish in the spring time while enjoying the outdoors.
What five ingredients do we need?
2 avocados, coarsely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
4 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
Plus: Salt to taste, and if you like a little kick in your guacamole, add 1 small serrano pepper (cored, seeded and minced)
Serving suggestion: Yellow or blue corn chips
Note: These quantities make approximately two cups of guacamole
What is the five-step recipe?
Pre-heat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius
1. Poor the lime juice into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Slice the avocados in half, remove the pit, cut in half again, peel off the skin and coarsely chop the flesh.
3. Add the avocado, tomato, onion, serrano pepper and cilantro to the lime juice.
4. Mash coarsely with a fork, leaving some largish chucks intact, and add salt to taste.
5. On a baking sheet, spread out the corn chips in an even layer and warm in the oven for 15 minutes (at 120 degrees Celsius), then serve together with the guacamole.
What’s your advice on your dish of the week?
The guacamole can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Do so by pressing a piece of plastic wrap directly to the surface to prevent it from discoloring. When you’re ready to serve, let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes (just enough time to warm the corn chips!). Finally, never stir the ingredients together, mash coarsely with a fork to ensure it doesn’t become watery.
[Image via Shutterstock]
For more 5 Ingredients recipes, click here.