Every mom has a sweet tooth, so is there a better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by whipping up a little indulgence? And in the spirit of helping mom relax, how about a recipe the whole family can get in on? Deliciously light Blueberry Roll Cake is a great recipe for getting the kids involved – there’s plenty of mixing and stirring but very little in the way of heat or anything else that might hurt little hands. Just make sure that dad and the kids do all of the clearing up!
120 gof sugar
1 spoonful of Butter
120 gof flour
1 jar of blueberry jam
50g of blueberries
1. Cover a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper and grease it with butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
3. Separate the egg whites from their yolks, then mix together the egg yolks, sugar and flour.
4. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites, with a pinch of salt, until firm.
5. Add the whites to the yolk mixture, gently folding them in with a spatula. The aim is to keep the air that you’ve just mixed into the whites – mix too hard and you’ll let it escape!
6. Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper and bakein the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Whilst the cake is baking, wash the blueberries.
8. Spread a wet tea towel out on a table. Once the cake is baked, take the tray out of the oven, turn it upside down on top of the wet tea towel, then remove the tray and the parchment paper. What your left with is the cake on the towel!
9. Spread the blueberry jam over the top of the cake.
10. Using the tea towel, roll up the cake and allow to stand for 10 minutes in the towel.
11. Remove the towel and decorate the top with more jam and fresh blueberries.
Recipe and photos by Laure Perriot. Laure works at FIELDS, the popular expat online grocery store that delivers safe, tasty and fresh food directly to your doorstep. Laure is a mother of two who enjoys cooking with her children because she believes this is the best way to teach them healthy eating habits.