In light of China's recent abandonment of the one-child policy, a group of primary school students in Guangdong province were recently asked on a school exam whether or not they'd like their parents to have a second child.
The nine and ten-year-olds were also asked to write down what advice they'd give their parents if they were to think about extending the family. The essay prompt asked:
What would you say to your parents if they plan on giving you a little brother or sister and they want to hear your opinion? Please write down your ideas on the given lines below. Try your best to express your opinion clearly and give specific reasons.
The students' answers varied in opinion, but one idea remained very much in the forefront: having a second child costs a lot of money!
A small handful of the somewhat adorable to out-right hilarious answers have gone viral online. We’ve selected a few of our favorites:
"I will tell my parents: “Mom and Dad, I do not need a younger brother or sister. If you give birth to him, he will scream madly, and poop all round, the room will be a horrible mess. So I do not need a younger brother or sister.”
"I want to say I want a younger sister. Because I have already got one younger brother, we two are pretty enough. If there is another younger brother, the whole house will be torn down."
"I will tell fathers and mothers: if I have a younger brother or sister, then I can have someone to play with me, but please pay attention to a couple of points below:
1. If I have a younger brother or sister, we might have different opinions and quarrel with each other.
2. Sisters or brothers might think that parents take sides with younger brothers or sisters, there can be disagreements.
3. Sometimes, brothers and sisters might get disgusted with their younger brothers and sisters’ behaviors."
"Mum, if you need to do a C-section, I cannot imagine the result. So I beg you, please take care of yourself and do not give birth again!"
"I think I should have a younger brother:
1. Because men can support the family.
2. Men can serve our country.
3. Men can endure much more than women.
4. Men do not know how to spend money, they only know how to earn money.
5. Men have much stronger bodies than women, so they are not prone to catching illness."